The NCAA women’s soccer season go underway on Friday, and we already have a pair of candidates for goal of the year. Seriously.
First up is this little flick-to-self from Duke’s Ella Stevens in a 9-1 win over Wofford on Friday to open the season:
— Duke Women's Soccer (@Duke_WSOC) August 20, 2016
And later that night came the early leader, the flick-to-self-at-full-speed from Amber Munerly, followed by the beautiful chip in UCLA’s 5-0 victory over San Diego State:
— UCLA Women's Soccer (@UCLAWSoccer) August 20, 2016
Those goals are from Day 1 of the season, but they might be tough to top. Some notables from the opening weekend:
- No. 1 Florida State opened the season with a 1-0 victory over No. 8 Texas A&M. Deyna Castellanos scored the game’s lone goal.
- No. 2 Penn State opened the season with a 1-1 draw against No. 6 West Virginia on Friday and then beat Hofstra, 3-1 on Saturday.
- No. 5 Stanford opened the season 2-0-0 with victories over Navy and Georgetown in Annapolis, Md.
- No. 21 Santa Clara defeated No. 11 USC, 3-2 in OT on Friday and then edged out No. 18 Cal, 1-0 in 2OT on Sunday. That’s a huge start to the season for the Broncos.
- No. 10 Rutgers was held to a 1-1 draw with Providence on Sunday.