Florida State, Stanford, Texas A&M and defending champion UCLA earned No. 1 seeds in the 2014 NCAA Division I women’s soccer championship, the NCAA announced on Monday.
The national title game will be played on Dec. 7 at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla.
Last year the UCLA Bruins beat Florida State in extra time to win their first NCAA title in head coach Amanda Cromwell’s first season in charge. The two teams are on opposite sides of the bracket and could meet again in the final. UCLA and Texas A&M are on the same side of the bracket, while Stanford is in the bottom half of FSU’s side of the bracket.
FSU just won its second straight ACC tournament on Sunday, beating Virginia, 1-0. UCLA beat USC to win a second straight Pac-12 title in front of a regular-season record crowd of 10,128 fans on Friday. Stanford finished second in the Pac-12, which does not have a tournament. Texas A&M won the SEC title on Sunday, beating Kentucky 1-0.
UCLA will open the tournament at home against San Diego State, while FSU hosts South Alabama, Texas A&M hosts Houston Baptist and Stanford hosts Cal St. Fullerton.
Penn State, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida earned No. 2 seeds.
Buffalo, Houston Baptist, New Hampshire, Prairie View A&M, Rider and SIU-Edwardsville are making their first-ever tournament appearances.
Here’s the complete bracket (click to enlarge):
CONFERENCES RECEIVING AUTOMATIC QUALIFICATION (31):
• America East Conference — New Hampshire
• American Athletic Conference — Connecticut
• Atlantic Coast Conference — Florida State
• Atlantic Sun Conference — Florida Gulf Coast
• Atlantic 10 Conference — Dayton
• Big East Conference — DePaul
• Big Sky Conference — Northern Arizona
• Big South Conference — High Point
• Big Ten Conference — Wisconsin
• Big 12 Conference — West Virginia
• Big West Conference — Cal State Fullerton
• Colonial Athletic Association — Northeastern
• Conference USA — Rice
• Horizon League — Valparaiso
• Ivy League — Harvard
• Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference — Rider
• Mid-American Conference — Buffalo
• Missouri Valley Conference — Illinois State
• Mountain West Conference — San Diego State
• Northeast Conference — Central Connecticut State
• Ohio Valley Conference — SIUE
• Pac-12 Conference — UCLA
• Patriot League — Boston U.
• Southeastern Conference — Texas A&M
• Southland Conference — Houston Baptist
• Southern Conference — Mercer
• Southwestern Athletic Conference — Prairie View A&M
• Summit League — South Dakota State
• Sun Belt Conference — South Alabama
• West Coast Conference — Brigham Young
• Western Athletic Conference — Seattle
Your accountSign in
/ 15 hours ago
The North Carolina Courage were supposed to be rebuilding in 2022. With players like...
/ 2 days ago
After a hopeful start to the National Women’s Soccer League regular season, with early...