ABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigeria Football Federation says it has avoided a long-term ban by FIFA after in-fighting over the leadership of the football body was ended through intervention by the country’s president.
The NFF says Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has ensured “a truce” and a faction challenging new NFF President Amaju Pinnick’s election last month has “discontinued” legal action against him.
The world body gave Nigeria until midday Friday local time (1100 GMT) to withdraw a court order nullifying the Sept. 30 football elections. FIFA endorsed Pinnick’s election and viewed the order as interference in football matters against its rules.
If Nigeria does not meet the deadline, FIFA said it would be banned until at least May, disqualifying the defending champion from next year’s African Cup of Nations. The Women’s World Cup begins June 6.
Your accountSign in
/ 4 days ago
Fourteen months after allegations first came to light that Portland Thorns owner Merritt Paulson...
/ 7 days ago
There’s no question about it: Trading cards are back and more popular than ever...