There is a slew of WPS news out there on this heat wave of a Tuesday. Here is what’s happening in Women’s Professional Soccer:
- A rumor had surfaced that U.S. defender Ali Krieger had offers from the Western New York Flash, Philadelphia Independence and magicJack. Having spoken with sources at all three clubs, it looks unlikely that the current stage any of those will pan out. Of the three, magicJack provided the only response that was not essentially a flat out ‘no.’ That did not sound like anything promising either.
- Speaking of magicJack, I’m told Ella Masar is on the roster for Wednesday’s big clash between magicJack and the Flash. Masar had reportedly briefly left the team, but has returned. Exactly what happened there remains unclear.
- Shannon Myers and Amanda DaCosta are no longer a part of magicJack.
- Hope Solo and Christie Rampone have been left off magicJack’s roster for Wednesday’s match. Alex Morgan is now on the active roster for the Flash and Marta is back in the country. One thing to keep in mind with the ‘who will play on Wednesday?’ question is that it will be about 92 degrees and humid in Rochester. That’s not ideal for players fresh off a trans-Atlantic flight after playing 120 minutes on Sunday.
- Wednesday’s match is now live on FOX Soccer at 7:30 p.m. Eastern. I’ll be there live and it will be madness. Look for a few different stories out of me from that match. The game is sold-out with over 15,000 in attendance expected. Yes, that would be a WPS record. Now, will Abby Wambach play?
- Speaking of magicJack: Here is a fan Web site that is far better than the actual team site.
- Advertising Age reports that the U.S.’ loss to Japan could have cost the players $10 million in endorsement deals.
- The U.S. women are in the middle of their media blitz right now. Check out The Late Show with David Letterman tonight.
Check back through the night for more news.
Your accountSign in
/ 17 hours ago
When the U.S. women’s national team announced its 18-player roster on Wednesday morning, one...
/ 17 hours ago
There were exactly zero major surprises from Wednesday’s announcement of the United States women’s...
/ 21 hours ago
Vlatko Andonovski is not known for speaking in cliches, but the first quote after...