Following the 2011 WPS Draft on Friday, Jan. 14, WPS CEO Anne-Marie Eileraas sat down with attending media to discuss the state of WPS in this rocky off-season. Check out the exclusive video below along with a brief summary of subjects touched upon:
– 2011 WPS Draft is a way to launch the 2011 season
– How the Women’s World Cup will affect WPS in 2011
– New sponsors, including Playtex Sport, are will use social media alongside WPS
– magicTalk SC/Washington Freedom and the temporary nature of the team’s dual location
– Doubleheaders and collaboration with MLS
– About 4-6 markets are in the hunt for 2012 expansion, most of which are on the West Coast
– Potential synergy between WPS, the W-League and the WPSL
– How the Chicago Red Stars were not that close to meeting the escrow payment
The final question, which had to be cut out to get the YouTube video under 15 minutes, was about USSF interaction with WPS, in which Eileraas said what we would expect: The USSF has been great, yaddah, yaddah. We know where WPS ranks on the totem pole of the U.S. Soccer scene.
The Equalizer will have more on some of these developments shortly. We just figured readers would enjoy hearing some of these answers directly, since they are questions commonly coming up in the comments section.
Your accountSign in
/ 2 days ago
Being tasked with hiring the next head coach of the two-time defending World Cup...
/ 4 days ago
Stanford won the 2019 NCAA championship on Sunday, defeating North Carolina in a sudden-death,...
/ 1 week ago
One day before the United States women’s national team won a second consecutive World...