Connect with us

International

Friday Roundup: Equatorial Guinea banned from 2019 World Cup

Also in today’s roundup, Kyah Simon signs with holder Melbourne City

Equatorial Guinea, who qualified in 2011, has been banned for 2019.

Equatorial Guinea has been expelled from participation in the 2019 World Cup for fielding ineligible player during qualification for the 2016 Olympic Games. They had already been banned from competing at the 2020 Olympics.

The sanctions are not the first leveled against Equatorial Guinea, who qualified for the 2011 World Cup, losing all three group matches. Jade Boho Sayo was banned during the 2011 World Cup and around that same time the team was kicked out of 2012 Olympic qualifying. The men’s team has also been embroiled in player eligibility issues over the years.

The Nzalong Nacional did not earn a result in Germany in 2011 but earned the respect of many observers by playing both Norway and Australia to within a goal.

African qualifying for the 2019 World Cup will come via the 2018 African Cup of Nations. Equatorial Guinea has also been banned from that event. The federation has been fined and two players, Muriel Linda Mandoua Abessolo and Francisca Angue Ondo Asangomo, have been suspended 10 games for forgery and falsification.

Kyah Simon signs with holders Melbourne City

Kyah Simon has signed a one-year contract with Melbourne City of the Westfield W-League. (photo courtesy Melbourne City)

Westfield W-League title holders Melbourne City announced today that they had signed Kyah Simon to a one-year contract for the 2017/2018 season. The signing was announced live before City’s A-League’s season opener against the Brisbane Roar.

“I’m really excited to start my career with City,” Simon said in the team’s official release. “I’m always looking for different challenges and ways to push myself and improve my game. Coming here and having the opportunity to be part of a Club which has raised the standard of football in Australia is going to do just that.”

Simon makes the move to Melbourne City after three seasons on loan from the Boston Breakers to Sydney FC. Simon, who is tied for fourth in most career league goals with 40, helped the Sydney FC reach the playoffs each of her three most recent seasons with the Sky Blues. In a previous stint with the club between 2009-2013, she advanced to the playoffs each year, won the Premiership twice (2009 and 2010/2011) and the Championship twice (2009 and 2012/2013).

“Kyah is an exceptional player who has experience both in the W-League and at international level for the Matildas,” Melbourne City head coach Patrick Kisnorbo said. “To have a player of Kyah’s stature join us ahead of our title defense gives us a fantastic boost. Not only has Kyah achieved an enormous amount on the field, but she has played a massive role in the development of women’s football and is a role model for all young aspiring female footballers.”

The striker sat out the 2017 NWSL season with the Boston Breakers after opting instead to undergo double shoulder surgery to repair a chronic dislocation condition. She recently returned to training with the Matildas during the Tournament of Nations and their recent pair of friendlies against Brazil, but she has not seen the field for her country since her surgeries.

Comments